Black Pepper - 1/2 tbsp
Jeera - 1/2 tbsp
Garlic - 6-7 pods
Tamarind - Small lemon size
Sambar Powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder - a pinch
Onion - 1 big size finely chopped
Curry Leaves - few
Oil - 2 tbsp
Mustard - 1/2 tsp
Salt - as per taste
1. Soak tamarind in water and extract the juice. Add sambar and turmeric powder to the tamarind water, stir well and keep it aside.
2. In a kadai put a tsp of oil and fry the pepper first. When it starts popping up, remove. Add jeera , leave it to splutter, remove and add garlic. Fry the garlic till it turns light brown. Remove and cool it.
3. Grind fried pepper, jeera and garlic together to a fine paste and add little water.
4. In a tawa, pour the remaining oil, add mustard. When it pops up, add chopped onion, curry leaves and fry just for second.
5. Then add tamarind water and stir well. Add salt and bring to boil. When it starts boiling, add the pepper paste and mix well.
6. Allow to boil just for 5-10 seconds.
This is best suited for cold, Its is a bit spicy and goes well with rice / idly.
Labels: Kolambu and Sambars for rice