I wanted to try Dum Aloo Recipe since long.... Baby potatoes cooked in a rich simmered tomato curd based gravy...I just loved the aroma of curd and tangy flavour of it in the gravy. I had tasted dum aloo in a north indian thali served at an restaurant, I totally loved the deep orange gravy...such nice flavours with a tangy taste that comes from curd so wanted to recreate the same and here is my try....:)
Dum Aloo Recipe
Preparation Time:5 minutes | Cooking Time : 20 mins | Serves:2
Baby potatoes - 15 to 20
Onion - 1 chopped finely
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
Curd - 1 cup
Kashmiri Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Garam Masala Powder - 1/2 tsp
Tomato puree - from 3 tomatoes
Fresh Cream - 3 tbsp
Cashew paste - from 5 cashews
Coriander leaves - 1 tsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
Salt - as required
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: North Indian
To Temper :
Jeera - 1 tsp
Bay leaf - a small piece
Cloves - 2
Cinnamom - 1/4 inch piece
Oil - 1 tsp
- Boil potatoes to 4 whistles, peel of the skin. Prick holes with a fork/toothpick, fry in a tsp of oil until golden brown, keep aside. Heat oil in a pan. Add jeera, cinnomon, cloves, bayleaf allow it to crackle.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute till slightly browned.Now add onions and saute for 2 mins.Then add all the spice powders(coriander, red chilli and garam masala powder) give a quick stir then add tomato puree,Cook until raw smell of tomatoes leaves.
- Add required salt, then add cashew paste. Cook till it becomes thick. Then add curd,fresh cream little by little and keep stirring.Add 1/4 cup water,food color and allow it to boil.
- Close with a lid and simmer it till the gravy thickens.Add, potatoes and cook for 5 -7mins in sim keeping it covered with a lid tightly(dum cooking) till the gravy blends with the potatoes and the gravy is thick.Garnish with coriander leaves and switch off.
Garnish with coriander leaves, kasuri methi. Serve with chapathis or with rice.
- Be very careful after curd is added, simmer and keep stirring else it will curdle.
- I used kashmiri red chilli powder and orange food color hence the bright orange color.
- You can even add 1 tsp of crushed kasoori methi for extra flavour.
- You can deep fry the potatoes till golden brown instead of toasting.
- I usually discard the seeds of tomatoes so I used 3 tomatoes. If you are using with seeds then 2 medium sized tomatoes would be enough.
Labels: Gravies for Rotis