This is from my mothers kitchen, she is an expert in making these paniyarams.NOTE:
In short u can use idly/dosa batter for karam but the traditional kulipaniyaram method is this:
Rice (Raw) /Pacharisi - 1 cup
Rice (Boiled)/Pulungalarisi - 1 cup
Fenugreek - 2-3 tsp
Ulunthu - 1/4 cup
For the batter:
Soak the raw rice, boiled rice seperately, fenugreek and ulunthu seperately each for an hr. First grind ulunthu and fenugreek for 15mins then add both the rices with 1/4 cup of water, Grind it in such a way that the batter is very thick(like idly/dosa batter) and not very smooth.Adjust water accordingly.Allow it to ferment - Set aside for 3-4 hours atleast.
Seperate the batter into equal halves and add the below ingredients.
Jaggery - 1/4 cup (Add jaggery to 1/4 cup of water and dissolve it)
Cardomom powder - 2 pinches
Coconut - 1/4 cup (optional)
Mix the above ingredients with the batter and mix well.
- Onions - 1 finely chopped
- Salt- a pinch
- Green chillies chopped - 1
- Coriander leaves - t tbsp chopped finely
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Channa Dal - 2 tsp
- Oil - 1 tsp
Heat oil add mustard seeds allow it to crackle then add channa dal allow it slightly brown. Then add onion, green chillies and coriander leaves. Transfer this to the batter and mix well.
1. Heat kulipaniyaram pan. Pour 2 drops of oil in each hole of the pan.
2. Fill each hole with the batter to 3/4 of the hole and keep closed for 2mins.
3. Flip the other side and allow it to cook for 2 more mins.. Once both the sides turn golden brown, switch off flame.
4. Serve hot with coconut chutney.
Labels: Breakfast Ideas, Other Breakfast Recipes