Methi Thepla is a gujarati flatbread variety....I tried Methi thepla for the first time and instantly fell in love with this healthy soft rotis! The theplas were very soft, with the spices added in it needs no side dish at all....Perfect for on the go snacky/breakfast.
This is one of my fav thepla recipes, over the days I have modified the recipe according my family taste and now this is my keeper recipe.
Methi Paratha Recipe - Ingredients
- 2 cups
Fresh Methi leaves - 3/4 cup chopped roughly
Oil - 2 tbsp
Curd - 2 tbsp
Besan flour - 2 tbsp
Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander seeds powder - 3/4 tsp
Jeera powder - 3/4 tsp
Salt - to taste
Water - as required to knead the dough
Serve hot with curd and mango pickle...yum!
- .Chop the methi leaves roughly. Saute the methi leaves until it shrinks and reduces in volume.. Sauting the methi leaves avoids bitterness.In a bowl, add together wheat flour, salt, coriander powder, red chili powder, cumin seeds , curd, besan flour,oil, turmeric powder and required salt.
- Add the sauted methi leaves to the above mixture. Add water little by little and combine them together to form a soft pilable dough.The dough should have the consistency similar to a roti dough.Cover and leave aside for 15-30 mins. Pinch lemon equal sized balls and roll them to form smooth balls.
- Roll them into thin rotis.Heat tawa, carefully add the rotis , drizzle oil. Cook the theplas on both sides till cooked(until brown spots appear here and there).Serve them hot with onion raita/pickle.
This is best for travel as it need no main side dish, you can serve with just plain curd / pickle.
- Pluck the leaves, rinse it well before sauteing to get rid of the dirt if any.
- You cna make them thin / thick theplas as per your choice.
- These rotis are very soft, they dont get spoiled soon so ideal for travel. It can be had as such or with any pickle.
- Sauting the methi leaves avoids bitterness in rotis. You can use buttermilk also instead of curd which makes the rotis even more softer.
Labels: Breakfast Ideas, Rotis and Parathas