I dont know from when I had this craving for sambar sadham.......Guess it was when for the first time I tasted sambar sadham from Vasanta Bhavan and I so so liked it. Since then I've been trying many trial and error methods of sambar sadham this is one proof for it ;) And finally here I've succedded with this heartiful comfort sambar rice.
- Rice-1 cup
- Thur dal-1/2 cup
- Oil-1 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds-1 tsp
- Fenugreek Seeds-1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves-a few
- Hing-a pinch
- Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
- Tamarind-small lemon sized ball
- Sambar Powder-1.5 tbsp
- Ghee-2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves- to garnish
- Water - 5.5 cups
- Onions (Shallots) - 6 to 8 halved
- Carrot - 1 chopped
- Tomato - 1
- Peas - 1/4 cup
- Potato - 1 chopped
- Rinse rice and dhal. Soak them for 15mins in water till its immersed fully. Then drain water and keep aside.Soak tamarind in 2 cups of warm water, keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add mustard seeds, let it splutter add curry leaves and fenugreek seeds. Fry for 2 mins.
- Add onion and tomato saute till tomatos raw smell leaves. Now add all the remaining veggies and saute well, Sprinkle salt,turmeric,sambar powder and hing. Fry for 5mins.Add rice and dhal now.
- Extract 2 cups of tamarind water and add it to the veggies. Now add 3.5 cups of water. Close the lid and pressure cook for 6-7 whistles(till rice and dal becomes mushy).
- Allow pressure to release, open and garnish with coriander leaves. Drizzle 1 tbsp ghee and mix well. Drizzle the remaining ghee just before serving.
- I have used 2 cups of tamarind water and 3.5 cups of water for 1 cup of rice and 1/2 cup dal mixture. Dont be doubtful on the 5.5 cups of water it will be perfect as I have made 3-4 trials before I posted it here :) If you dont want too mushy rice then 5 cups is enough.
- The veggies are purely your choice but dont skip shallots as they tend to give a better taste compared to big onions.
- I didnt add chilli powder as the sambar powder amma makes has good amount of chilli in it. You can add chilli powder if needed.
- Also soaking rice and dhal for 15-20mins makes it to get cooked quickly and mushy.Serve hot else it will get thickened soon.
Labels: Rice Varieties, variety rice, Veggies