Karuveppilai Podi / Curry Leaves Powder - The only way I can have curry leaves is this powder. I've rarely seen people eating curry leaves as such when used in gravies/poriyals and am one of the kind. I know its always been cornered....But knowing the goodness of it, I wanted to make this podi so that we can have it as a accompaniment for rice or even idlis and dosas.
- Fresh Curry leaves - 3cups
- Urad dal - 1/4 cup
- Channa dal - 1/8 cup
- Hing/Perungayam -1/4 tsp
- Red chillies- 5
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Salt - to taste
1.Wash the curry leaves and allow them to dry in shade.Dry them until there is no moisture.Heat a tsp of oil in a pan, add curry leaves and fry them on medium heat. Keep tossing them around taking care not to burn them. The curry leaves should turn crispy.At this stage transfer to a seperate bowl and keep aside.
2.Now heat the remaining oil, add chana dhal, urad dhal and hing, fry them on medium heat till they are browned. Remove from pan and keep aside.Fry red chillies till crisp.Switch off and allow them to cool.First grind red chillies along with the dals and salt to a coarse powder
3.Then add curry leaves and grind it along to a fine/coarse powder as per your preference. Cool down then store in airtight container.
I luv it with rice and oil.Occasionally I have it with idlies too :) Try this aromatic and flavourful curry leaves powder.
Uses of Curry leaves are recognised in all kinds of medical treatments and cooking methods as well. Here are only a few listed down: [Source : Google]
- A liberal consumption of curry leaves is believed to be beneficial in nourishing the roots of the hair thus preventing further hair loss. It is believed that by doing so, premature graying of hair can be stopped.
- The fresh juice of curry leaves are also used as an eye treatment for certain eye disorders, especially in arresting the development of cataract.
- Diabetes due to heredity factors can be cured by eating ten fresh fully grown Curry leaves every morning for three months. It also helps in curing Diabetes due to Obesity due to the weight reducing properties of the leaves.
- When Curry leaves are boiled in coconut oil till they are reduced to a blackened residue, the oil forms an excellent hair tonic to enhance hair growth and helps in retaining the natural pigmentation.
- The curry leaves finds its applications in various fields and areas of diverse effects. The aromatic use for culinary purposes to medical needs and for simple solution of day to day health problems, it caters to a wide area.
Labels: Dips and Chutneys, Homemade Podis