Once while bloghoping came to know about vegbowl and chanced to see this recipe. The picture looked so tempting that I wanted to try it out immediately. Since then I am regular to her blog to see her lovely clicks and posts.
When I heard that guests were turning home weekend, I made this for the first time and it turned out super tasty. The lil ones enjoyed every bite and I was happy seeing them :) Not to mention about the elders too they were happily digging in and this is ammas most favourite. I dont like custard, but still this cake is an exception.
- Vanilla flavoured custard powder - 5 tbsp
- Milk - 3 cups
- Sugar - as required [I used 4 tsp]
- 50-50 or Krack Jack Biscuit - 1 packet [I used Krack Jack]
- Coffee decotion - 2 tbsp [optional but recommended]
- Chocolate / Choc Semiya / Choc Sauce - as required to cover the top layer
NOTE : If you are not familiar with making filter coffee decotion this is for you to make coffee decotion without filter :Take 1/4 cup hot water and add 1.5 tsp of instant coffee powder (Bru, Nescafe sunrise works best) and mix well.Use this as coffee decotion it to dip ur biscuits.It works almost like filter decotion.
1.In a small bowl add the custard powder to little milk and dissolve till the custard powder combines with milk into a smooth liquid without any lumps. Keep aside.[This step should be done with out keeping in stove] Keeping in low flame, heat the remaining milk , add sugar.
2.Now add the custard milk. Stir slowly, well and continuosly.The mixture gets thickened very fast so be very careful. Stir for 2-3 mins switch off and cool down. The consistency is little thicker, but still should be in flowing consistency as shown below. Now dip each biscuit for a second and arrange it in a square plate/tin and layer the base of the plate with krack jack biscuits dipped in coffee decotion for first layer.
3.Above the first layer spread a generous spoon of prepared custard then layer another set of biscuits dipped in coffee decotion.Repeat this with another layer then alternatively stack up with biscuits and custard. Build 3-4 layers repeating the same process.Then grate chocolate/ add chocolate sauce or readymade choc semiya(which is what I've done) over the top layer biscuits, covering up the whole cake.
4.Refrigerate it for few hours (about 2-3 hrs). Remove from the fridge about 5-10 minutes before serving.Cut into desired squares/pieces and serve immediately.
The crunch in the biscuits with the creamy custard...Yumm! Sure to be kids favourite too.
My Notes :
- The amount of custard in each layer purely depends on your choice. I liked mine just covered, if you like custard then add it more generously covering the biscuit layer completely.
- Build about 3-4 layers, not beyond that, as it will not hold shape making it hard to cut into desired square pieces.
- Tastes best when served immediately after taking it from the fridge.
Labels: Baked Goodies, Cakes and Cookies, Custard powder desserts, Desserts, Eggless Baking, Eggless Cakes