The first time I tasted Broccoli was at Taj Prego. My friend had ordered Nethili fry and what came as an accompaniment was broccoli stir fry. It first looked to me like no flavoured stir fry(It was an Italian restaurant and to me everything looked uncooked ;)) so didnt want to taste at all, but then knowing the health benefits and my friends compulsion I wanted to give a try.And to my surprise, it didnt have a bit of any raw smell though it looked so. It tasted awesome...the olive oil with the mild seasoning tasted sooo gud that the main attraction was the broccoli than the nethili :)
Last month, I found nice fresh broccolli at a nearby store so wanted to try a stirfry with mild seasoning and this is it. Since then this is one of my favorite veggies.
- Broccoli - 1 small floret
- Big Onion - 1 finely chopped
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Pepper powder - 1/2 tsp
- Sambar powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - as needed
- Oil - 2 tsp (I used olive oil)
- Mustard - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1.5 tsp
1.Cut broccoli into small bite size pieces, like we cut for cauliflower. Wash the florets well and put it in hot water(not boiling water) for 5mins and then drain to keep aside.This is to clean as well as avoid worms if any. Then cook(parboil) broccoli with water, turmeric powder and salt.Drain water and set aside.Heat a pan with oil, add mustard seeds and jeera, allow it to crackle. Then add ginger garlic pase saute for a min, then add onions and fry till slightly browned.
2.Add the pepper powder, sambar powder and required salt.. Now stir well and add the broccoli florets and mix well again.Keep in low flame and allow it to coo for 3mins till the spice powders are blended. Switch off and serve hot.
There is always a saying that any veggie that is green has numerous health benefits...Its so true!!!
- Dont overcook, as broccoli tends to lose its beneficiary values. Also take care not to change the color and crunchiness.
- Broccoli with olive oil combination works best, try it and see.
- Select the broccoli which is nice green in color with no black spots.
Few Health Facts: [Source : Google]
- Avoid over cooking broccoli as about half of its beneficial substances may be destroyed in the process. Also, microwaving is thought to remove valuable nutrients from broccoli.Light steaming is best. Steam the broccoli for just a couple of minutes, until it turns bright green.
- Broccoli health benefits include weight reduction, reduction of cholesterol and few birth defect risks can also be lowered.It has almost as much calcium as whole milk
- Broccoli helps fight cancer and there is strong evidence that broccoli may reduce the risk of heart disease. It is an antioxidant and helps with stress.
Labels: Broccoli Recipes, Poriyal, Veggies