This pickle/thokku with tangy taste of tamarind is the best combination for curd rice. It is easy to make, you can add in onions too with this thokku.
- Garlic - 1/2 cup
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Red Chillies - 1
- Tamarind - 1 small sized ball
- Powdered Jaggery - 1.5 tsp
- Salt - as required
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Peel the garlic skin and grind it with red chillies to a coarse paste and keep aside. Dont make it to a fine paste, the bits of garlic in the pickle tastes best.
- Add tamarind to 1/4 cup water and extract thick pulp from it and keep aside
- Heat oil, add mustard seeds allow it to crackle then add the garlic paste and saute till raw smell leaves and it starts turning light brown.
- Now add tamarind pulp, powdered jaggery, required salt and mix well. Keep sauting till the mixture turns brown color as in the pic. Switch off and store in a airtight container.
I like this thooku with almost anything idli, dosa, roti or rice. Sometimes I have this as such too :)
Labels: Dips and Chutneys, Pickles and Other Spreads