Akki Roti or Masala Rice Roti is a famous karnataka dish which can be served as a snack or for dinner. It is sure a better alternative to the usual dosas and its very quick to make too. Actually, this recipe was vaguely given by hubby which he got from his colleague. He rarely asks for anything specific so wanted to give a try the day he asked for it.As a food blogger and a responsible wife I made few adjustments here and there to come up with these akki rotis recipe :) He liked it so much and the best thing was this time with no complaints :)
Makes 10 to 12 rotis
- Rice flour - 1.5 cups
- Onions - 1 finely chopped
- Ginger - 1 tbsp finely chopped
- Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Turmeric powder - a small pinch
- Jeera - 1 tsp
- Carrot - 1 medium sized, grated
- Coconut - 2 to 3 tbsp grated
- Coriander leaves - 1 tbsp finely chopped
- Hing - a pinch
- Green chillies - 1 finely chopped
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - to toast
- Take a wide bowl and add the rice flour first. Then crush the jeera with your hands and add to the rice flour.
- Add all the remaining ingredients one by one together except oil, add required water to form a soft dough. Be careful in adding water, add it little by little.
- Then take a polythene cover, drizzle a drop of oil and grease well. Pinch a small lemon sized ball and pat it on the polythene cover till very thin like chapathis.
- Heat dosa tawa and add the roti, drizzle oil and let it get cooked. Turn over otherside and allow it to cook well. Repeat this for all other rotis too, no need to grease the polythene cover each time, may be you can do it for alternative rotis. Serve hot with any chutney or even tomato ketchup. We had it as such itself :)
After patting it into a thin circle, cut it with a lid if you want your rotis to look pretty and get perfect circles for the pics...yes I did that :)
Isnt that a easy recipe, Dont have dosa batter for making idlis or dosa?! Try this instant akki roti for a change. Its quick, easy and very tasty. It doesnt need any side dish , isnt that great?!
This roti keeps soft for 2-3 hours. So try to consume hot, else it will become a little harder.
Labels: Breakfast Ideas, Rotis and Parathas