I tried these oats cornflakes fruit and nut bars long back, And since then its often in my do list atleast once a month. I have modified the recipe after trying with 2-3 variations of measurements and finally sticking to this one. This is ideal for breakfast with a cup of milk which is very filling at the same time you can be happy to have started the day on a healthy note. Isnt that nice?!
Ingredients: [Recipe Source : Sunitas world]
Yields 9 bite sized squares
- Oats - 1 cup (100gms)
- Cornflakes/Wheat flakes - 1/2 cup (50gms) - I used wheat flakes
- Wheat flour - 2 tbsp
- Raisins - 1.5 tsp
- Walnuts - 1.5 tbsp chopped
- Choco Chips - 1/2 tbsp
- Jaggery - 1/2 cup (50gms)
- Yogurt - 1/2 cup (50 gms)
- Cooking oil - 1.5 tbsp
- Coco powder - 1 tsp [optional]
- In a wide bowl, mix together oats,wheat flakes, wheat flour, walnuts, raisins and choco chips, coco powder together. Just crush the wheat flakes with your hands if the flakes are very big.
- Just add water to jaggery till immersing level say 1tbsp and leave it for few mins for it to become a syrupy consistency. Then add it to the flour oats mixture. Now add yogurt and oil to the mixture. Just mix to bring everything together.
- Preheat oven to 180 deg C for 10mins. Meanwhile grease a baking tray with little oil and spread the mixture on it with 1/2 inch thickness. Use back of a spoon to smoothen the top.
- Bake it for 35-40 mins till it is nicely browned. Keep an eye after 30mins because mine got baked perfectly in 35mins. Transfer it to the wire rack and cool it for 10mins before marking squares.Store it in airtight container and enjoy.
Nuts and oats combination is not only healthy, they are very tasty and ideal for on the go breakfast.The batter looks a bit sticky...These bars sounds close to granola bars but tastes different with the addition of wheat flour, yogurt and jaggery.
I like to try different types of cereal bars as they are not only healthy and ideal for breakfast, at the same time they fill in our after 3PM tummy cravings too. Only the baking time is a little more, otherwise the preperations are nothing at all.
- I wanted to try the chocolate flavour so added coco powder, you can omit that too. I have tried both ways and luved both of them :)
- The nuts and dry fruits that goes in the bars are purely our choice, Some variations can be adding dates, black currant etc. The top is slightly crispy and softer, chewy inside.
Labels: Baked Goodies, Breakfast Ideas, Healthy Bars, Oats Recipes, Other Baking