Arisi Paruppu Sadam / Dhal is one of the popular kongu special recipes here in Coimbatore.This is very quick to fix up for lunch but a very tasty variety rice. My best friend Sowmya used to bring it during our college days and I used to happily finish up half of her lunch during interval itself lending herself my tiffin box for lunch :) I called her up last week to get the recipe and here it is for you....
Arisi Paruppu Sadam Recipe
Preparation Time : 10 minutes | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Serves : 2
Rice - 1 cup
Toor Dhal - 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp
Small Onion - 10 halved
Tomato - 2 small
Garlic - 2 to 3
Water - 3 cups
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Sambar powder - a small pinch(optional)
Coriander leaves - 1 tbsp
Ghee - 3 tsp
Salt - to taste
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Oil - 2 tsp
Mustard - 3/4 tsp
Jeera - 1 tsp
Red chillies - 2
Curry leaves - few
- Rines rice and dal , soak it for 15mins, set aside.Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add the items listed under 'to temper' allow it to crackle. Now add onions, garlic and saute till slightly browned.
- Add tomatoes and saute till raw smell leaves and is slightly mushy.Drain water from rice and dhal, add it to the tempered items and mix well.Add required salt.
- Add water and pressure cook in medium flame for 3 whistles. Switch off , once pressure releases open drizzle ghee and give a quick stir.Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
I love paruppu sadam and this one obviously is my favourite too. Its easy to prepare and kids will like it too.You can serve it with any vadams
or any poriyal/varuval you prefer.
- Arisi Paruppu sadam should be slightly mushy but if you like your rice to be separated then add 2.5 cups of water.
- You can even skip small onion while tempering.
- It is recommended to serve it hot as the rice will become dry soon.
Labels: Lunchbox Recipes, Rice Varieties, variety rice