The first time I had vada pavs was during our college tour to Mumbai as my friend suggested to taste it and I just loved it. This is a famous chat item/street food in Mumbai and after that I didnt get chance to taste it anywhere else. Recently when hubby got these pav buns I didnt have any clue of what to do with it as I didnt have any ingredients required for Pav Bhaji so googled and found this to be interesting from Tarla Dalal site, I modified the measurement a bit and here is the recipe
Makes 4 vada pavs
- Pav Buns - 4
- Red chutney - See recipe below ( 2 tbsp)
- Green chutney - as required ( 2 tbsp)
For the vadas :
- Boiled Potatoes - 2 medium sized
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Green chillies - 1/2 tsp chopped finely
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Onion - 1 medium sized chopped finely
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves - 2 tsp
- Oil - 2 tsp
For Vada outer coating:
- Besan flour - 1/4 cup
- Rice flour - 1 tbsp
- Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Baking soda - a pinch
- Oil - to toast / deep fry
Red Garlic chutney:
- Coconut - 5 tbsp
- Red Chillies - 1
- Garlic - 4 chopped finely
- Tamarind - 1 tsp
- Salt - to taste
Dry roast coconut and tamarind till lightly browned. Grind together with all other ingredients. Do not add water its slighly pastey and dry.
For the vadas:
Heat oil, add mustard seeds and jeera, allow it to crackle. Add green chillies, ginger garlic paste and saute for mins.Add onions and saute till it turns lightly browned. Then add mashed potatoes, turmeric powder, required salt and mix well. Add chopped coriander leaves,mix well and switch off. Allow it to cool and make small balls and keep it ready. For the vada coating
Mix besan flour, rice flour, salt, turmeric, chilli powder, baking soda.Add little water to form a paste like we do for bajjis and bondas.
For the vada pav assembling:
Now take the balls and dip it to the flour paste and deep fry it till golden brown (I didnt deep fry them instead toasted them in a paniyaram pan)
Take the buns slit it into halves taking care one end is still connected to the other bun.Apply the green chutney on one side , red chutney on another side. Keep the prepared vadas in between as shown and enjoy your vada pavs!
This is very famous chat in north india especially Mumbai and Kolkata. If you dont get pav buns go ahead with normal buns.
- This sure needs time but when you are ready with the chutneys then making vadas and assembling them as vada pavs is easy.
- Usually the vadas are nothing but our aloo bondas. The chutney combination and assembling it as vada pav gives a unique taste.
- I chose to toast in paniyaram pan, instead you can deep fry them as the orginal recipe says.
You can make the chutneys ready the before day itself and refrigerate them. The red garlic chutney is fiery hot which makes a apt combination for this vada pav.
Labels: Chat Items, Dips and Chutneys, potato recipes, Step by Step Recipe