As I've already mentioned I am not a soup person so didnt bother to try soups all these days. But when I saw this protein rich soup in Tarladala cookbook I wanted to give a try. The orginal recipe called for masoor dhal since I didnt have it, I went ahead with moong dhal. Its a easy, quick and a filling soup.
Makes 2 bowls
- Moong Dhal - 1/4 cup
- Carrot - 1 small
- Tomato - 1
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
- Pepper powder - 1 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Lemon juice - 1/2 tsp
- Cloves -1
- Cinnamom - 1/4 inch piece
- Garlic - 3 cloves
- Onion - 1/2
- Soak moong dhal for 15mins, drain water and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add cinnamom, cloves let it fry for a min then add garlic and onions allow it to saute until onions turn golden brow.
- Then add carrot, tomatoes, saute until tomatoes turn slightly mushy. Now add soaked moong dhal, turmeric powder, chilli powder, required salt. Add 3 cups of water and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles.
- When pressure releases, open and let it cool. Discard cinnamom and cloves alone, and grind the remaining ingredients in a mixie until smooth. Add pepper powder and mix well.
- Add water if the soup is thick, adjust according to your likeness.Garnish with lemon juice and serve hot with bread/soup stick.
- For the above mentioned quantity it gives 2 generous bowls of soup. It is very thick so add water according to ur liking.
- Adding carrot is purely optional, you can very well skip it or add any other veggie of your choice.
- I didnt want the flavour of cloves and cinnamom to dominate so I discarded it before grinding. You can grind with it too.
Labels: Soups, Starters