I tried this cake long back and was totally impressed with it. This recipe is a winner as it withstood my experiment ;) Yes as usual I reduced the butter totally and the cake came out just awesome. Most of the time I make sure my baked goodies are low fat so that we dont feel the guilt of enjoying them but yeah there are exceptions always....:)
After my successful try with custard powder in biscuits
I went ahead with this custard powder cake as I got very tempted seeing in many blogs. But when I saw it in Divyas blog I tried it the same day as I cudnt resist myself anymore.....:)
Eggless Custard Powder Cake Recipe - Ingredients
- Maida / All Purpose flour - 1 and 1/2 cups (200 gms)
- Vanilla flavoured Custard Powder or Cornflour - 3/4 cup (100 gms)
- Baking powder - 1 1/4 tsp
- Granulated Sugar - 3/4 cup (165 gms)
- Vanilla extract - 1/2 tsp (only if you are using cornflour else skip it)
- Butter - 2 tbsp
- Milk - 1 and 1/2 cups (375 ml)
1.First add milk in a bowl add butter mix well.Next add vanilla essence and mix again with a whisk.
2.Then add the sugar, mix till it completely dissolves. Alternatively you can powder the sugar and then add so that it dissolves quickly. Sieve maida, custard powder and baking powder then add them to the milk butter mixture. Sieving is always done to avoid any dust particles and also to ensure even spread of the baking powder.
3.Mix until a creamy batter shown below is formed. Then grease a baking pan(I used a 4X4 inch cake pan) with a butter paper and pour the batter into it. Preheat the oven to 180 deg C for 10mins and bake the cake for 35-40mins. Test by inserting a toothpick in the middle of the cake before you switch off.
Cool it completely for atleast 20mins then cut into pieces. I halved the orginal recipe and choose a smaller pan accordingly.
- As I wanted a low fat version I used demerara sugar so my cake was a little brown in color.You can use normal sugar too.
- Since my cake mould was a bit smaller , my cake was done in 40mins. But the orginal recipes says it might take 45mins and might extend upto an hour depending on the oven type and cake mould you use.
- I have reduced the butter totally and added more milk instead. The result was a very soft tasty cake.
- As the name says snack cake, the sweetness is slightly lower than the usual cakes. So you can increase the sugar to 1 cup if you prefer a sweeter cake.
- The top and bottom slightly browns up giving it a golden yellow in the middle.
I just topped up with some left over choco chips. It is a perfect snack time cake as the sweet is very mild making it ideal with a cup of coffee or tea. The cake was over the same day I baked it so I can promise you on the taste.
The custard flavour gives a very nice flavour to this cake.If you dont have custard powder just substitute it with cornflour and vanilla essence and it gives the same result. When I started trying out custard powder I disliked the taste but slowly started liking it and now have been trying many pudding combinations using it.
Labels: Baked Goodies, Eggless Baking, Eggless Cakes, Step by Step Recipe