I like to experiment on new dosa varieties and one such try was this tomato dosai. When I saw this dosa in a tamil magazine, I noted down the recipe, tried it recently and got hooked on to the recipe since then. So wanted to share the recipe here.....
Instant Tomato Dosai Recipe:
Makes 4 dosas
- Dosa Batter - 2 cups
- Tomato - 2 roughly chopped
- Garlic - 4 chopped finely(optional)
- Coconut - 1 tbsp
- Red Chillies - 2
- Jeera - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - few torn into pieces
- Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
- Oil - as required for making dosa
- Saute the tomatoes in a tsp of oil until mushy and raw smell leaves.Allow it to cool and grind the tomatoes with coconut, garlic and red chillies to a fine paste with little water.
- Now add jeera, curry leaves , red chilli powder and tomato coconut paste to the dosa batter and mix well.
- Heat a dosa tawa, keeping in low medium flame take a laddle full of the batter and spread it evenly starting form the center slowly outwards in circular motion.
- Drizzle some oil along the edges and cook for 2mins. Flip on the other side and cook until done.
- Serve hot with any chutney of your choice.
- Spread the batter thin to get a crispy dosa.
- You can also add more coconut if you want.
- You can also add chopped onions to the batter which adds nice flavour to the dosa.
- The batter consistency should be like the normal dos batter consistency so add/minus water accordingly.
You can also spread the batter thick to get oothapams.. This dosa is very flavourful and best when combined with sambar and coconut chutney. Also use the grinding part while grinding the batter itself but since I wanted a instant version I like making it this way.
Labels: Breakfast Ideas, Idlis and Dosas