Vegetable cutlet is my favourite from my childhood days. I'm sure this is the best way to make kids eat veggies. I got the recipe from amma and here it is for you....Whan I was in the middle of clicking my daughter came running to me with the pizzahut stand(in the 2nd pic) and asked to keep it so she was the sole reason for that idea :)
Vegetable Cutlet Recipe:- Ingredients
Preparation Time : 20 mins | Cooking Time : 20 mins | Makes : 14 cutlets
Potato - 2 big sized
Other mixed veggies - 1/4 cup (I used carrots, peas and beans)
Onions - 1/2 chopped finely
Bread - 1 slice
Bread crumbs - 1/2 cup
Ginger garlic paste -1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
Garam masala powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves,chopped - 2 tbsp
Lemon juice - 1 tsp
Maida - 1 tbsp
Salt - as required
Oil - As required for deep frying / toasting
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
- Pressure cook the veggies with required amount of water until soft. Peel off the skin of potatoes ,mash it well and add the other veggies to it. Then add finely chopped onions, Crumble the bread with your hands and add the bread to the veggies.Add ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder, garam masala powder, coriander leaves and required salt.
- Mix well and saute it in a nonstick pan with a tsp of oil till the onions turn soft and the masalas raw smell leaves, it will take just 5mins. Switch off and cool down.
- Add lemon juice and mix well to form a dough.Make equal sized round balls and slightly press it between your palms to make it flat.Keep aside.Now in a seperate plate, mix maida and water to form a thick paste. Now dip each cutlet in the paste such that both sides are coated well.
- Then coat it with breadcrumbs as show in the below pic.Repeat the same for all other cutlets too. You can deep fry them or toast the cutlets(like what I did) till crispy.Serve the cutlets hot with tomato sauce.
I am sure this is a kid pleaser, you can make innovative shapes and impress the kids. Any fussy eater will sure like this cutlet and ask for one more. You can make this as a tea time snack for kids and serve them hot with tomato sauce - yum combination. As all the veggies are added and if you toasting it then what more do you need - Its a tasty and healthy evening tea time snack.Enjoy ur cutlets guiltfree.
- You can also add beetroot for a nice color.
- You can deep fry them if you are making in bulk as it saves time
- Those who like eggs can use egg for coating and then dip them in breadcrumbs.
- Amma usually sautes onion and tomato well and then add it to the other other ingredients. You can try this too as tomatoes give a nice flavour.
- You can prepare the cutlets before hand and refrigerate them, and toast/deep fry when you want it to serve hot. I have tried a day prior to the guests arrived and it was good. So make sure you make the cutlets only a day prior and not more than that as the veggies will get spoiled easily.
Labels: peas recipes, Starters, Teatime snacks, Veggies