If I can say the one thing that I can compromise on road side shops, it is with no doubt my favourite kothu parotta. I just love the taste in road side shops and it can noway be compared with the taste we get in restaurants. I tried to recreate the taste and it was close to it except for the addition of chalna they use.
Egg Kothu Parotta Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 30 mins | Serves : 2
Parotta - 2
Egg - 1
Onion - 1 chopped finely
Tomato - 1 chopped finely
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
Pepper powder - 1/2 tsp
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
Coriander leaves - 1 tsp chopped finely
Recipe Category: Side dish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
- Chop the parottas into small pieces. Keep aside.
- Heat oil, first temper fennel seeds then add add curry leaves, green chillies let it splutter. Then add ginger garlic paste, allow it to brown slightly.
- Now add onions, once it turns golden brown, add tomatoes when it turns mushy add turmeric, chilli and pepper powder. Add required salt and mix well.
- Then add the eggs mix it to scramble well, once it turns nicely fried and blended with the masalas add the chopped parato and give a stir so that parotta is blended well with the egg and masalas. Garnish with coriander leaves and switch off.
I prefer kothu parotta to normal parotta any day and the taste in restaurants can stand no where near the kothu parotta style the road side shops makes. I am yet to make my own parottas , to me it seems to be always a tiresome task but sure to post it soon.
- You can skip eggs and add any veggie of your choice.
- Usually in road side shops for 1 plate of kothu parotta they use 2 shredded parotas and 2 eggs with the above said ingredients with chalna added at the end which gives a mushy and soft texture.
- Also for the road style kothu parotta they add chalna(the kurma that comes with normal parottas) which gives a very nice taste.
- Amma usually sautes onion and tomato well and then add it to the other other ingredients. You can try this too as tomatoes give a nice flavour.
- Squeeze lemon juice while serving if you like the flavour.
Labels: Breakfast Ideas, Egg Recipes, Kids Corner, Rotis and Parathas