Chana Dal Sundal(Kadalai Paruppu Sundal) is one easy and quick sundal recipe to make for navaratri.I havent been to kollus I remember only once seeing it in person in my friends place. Otherwise to me, kollus are always visualised only in movies :) On vinayagar chathurthi when we went to temple, chakarai pongal was served in these thonnais and I picked these thonnais from there :)
Chana Dal Sundal Recipe - Ingredients
Channa Dal - 1 cup
Coconut - 3 tbsp
Ginger scrapped - 1 tsp (optional)
Salt - as required
Oil - 1.5 tsp
: 10 mins
| Cooking Time
: 15 mins
| Recipe Cuisine
: South Indian
To temper:Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Urad dal - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves - few
Red chillies - 2
Hing - a generous pinch
- Soak channa dal in water for an hour. Then pressure cook chana dal with 1.5 cups for 1-2 whistles or until it turns soft but not mushy. Keep aside.In a pan heat oil, add mustard seeds, urad dhal allow it to crackle. Add hing, curry leaves and red chillies fry for a minute.
- Then add the cooked chana dal, scrapped ginger and required salt. Mix well until its combined. Add coconut, give a quick stir and switch off.
Transfer to serving dish and serve hot!
- Pressure cooking will be ok too but take care not to make channa dal mushy.
- Adding ginger always helps to avoid gastric problems with most lentils esp with chana dal.
- You can replace red chillies with green chillies also.
Labels: FestiveSpecials, Navaratri Recipes, Sundal Recipes