Coconut rice(Thengai sadam) with seppankizhangu roast is one of my most favorite lunch menu. Its not only easy to make, it makes a complete tasty lunch box menu. This has been sitting in my drafts for about 6 months so didn't want to delay anymore :)
Coconut Rice Recipe
Preparation Time:15 mins | Cooking Time : 10 mins | Serves:2
Cooked Rice - 1/2 cup
Coconut - 1/4 cup grated
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Cashews - 5 roughly broken
Ghee - 1 tsp
Salt - as required
To temper:Oil - 1/2 tbsp
Coconut Oil - 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Urad dal(white) - 2 tsp
Jeera - 1 tsp
Hing(Perungayam) - a tiny pinch
Green chillies - 1 slitted
Curry leaves - few
- Heat oil - add the items listed under 'to temper', allow it to crackle. Now add grated coconut and saute in low flame till moisture leaves.Add required salt.Dont let it brown just saute it for 3mins in low flame till nice aroma rises.Switch off.
- Cook and keep the cooled rice ready.Add the cooked rice and mix well.
- Fry cashews in ghee till golden brown.Add cashews,drizzle coconut oil and give a quick stir.
Serve hot / warm!
- For coconut rice - you can add channa dhal and boiled peanuts while tempering as a variation.If you are adding chana dal soak in water for few mins then add while tempering.
- Adding coconut oil gives a great flavour
- You can replace green chillies with red chillies too.
Labels: Aadi Perukku Special Recipes, Avani Avittam Recipes, Easy Lunch Menu, Lunchbox Recipes, Rice Varieties, variety rice, Veggies