I love chats and my fav is always dahi puri(recipe coming up soon) and pav bhaji
. I have tasted pani puri only once and am not very fond of it but still once in a while I like it mainly for the burst of different flavours - spicy, tangy, sweet and yummy. I admit that I made this just for this post sake as I didnt have any craving for pani puri ;) but reserved the puris for making my fav dahi puri :)
Puri Recipe - Ingredients
- Maida(APF) - 1/4 cup
- Whole wheat flour(Atta) - 1/4 cup
- Semolina (Rava / Sooji) - 1 cup
- Baking Soda - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - as required
- Oil - to deep fry
I tried a slightly different version of puri from vahchef you can check it here with stepwise
- Combine rava, wheat flour, maida, baking soda and salt, add water little by little to make a stiff dough like how we make for puris.Allow it to rest for atleast 15-30mins.
- Knead the dough once again and pinch equal sized lemon sized balls. Using the chapathi roller, roll out thin rotis and cut with a lid or cookie cutter as a small round puris.
- Heat oil in a kadai(it shouldnt be piping hot) slide 3-4 puris at a time and using the laddle press in the center and along the edges to make the puris puff up.
4. Flip over to other side and cook to golden brown on both sides.Drain in a tissue paper.Cool and store in an air tight container and use when required.
Pani Recipe - Ingredients
- Tamarind - 1/4 cup firmly packed
- Water - 2 cups
- Chat masala / Amchur powder - 1 tsp
- Roasted Cumin Seed (Jeera) Powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander Leaves - 1 tbsp for garnish
- Mint leaves + coriander leaves - 1/4 cup
- Black Salt - to taste (I used normal salt)
How to make pani:
- Soak the tamarind in ½ cup of water for approximately 1 hour. Strain out all the pulp through a sieve.
- Combine this pulp with the remaining ingredients(chat masala/amchur powder, roasted jeera powder,mint,coriander leaves) except salt and grind it to a fine paste.
- Transfer the paste into a large bowl and combine with the 2 cups of water, salt and mix well.
- Chill for at least an hours after making for the flavours to blend well.
Pani Puri Recipe - Ingredients
- Puri - 12 to 15 pooris
- Pani - 2 cups
- Onion - 1 chopped finely
- Potatoes - 2
- Chilly powder -1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Sprouted green gram - 1/2 cup(I soaked green gram for 4 hrs and pressure cooked for 1 whistle, you can use sprouted green gram too)
- Mint chutney - 2 tbsp
- Sweet chutney - 2 tbsp
- Sev / Oma podi - 1/4 cup
- Salt - for taste
How to assemble Pani Puri:
- Mash the boiled potatoes, mix turmeric, chilli powder and salt, Keep aside.
- Crack a small hole in the centre of each puri. Drop a tsp of mashed potatoes, then a tsp of green gram , then add mint chutney, sweet chutney and then chopped onion. Finally top it up with sev and pour the prepared pani.
- Serve immediately and enjoy the explosion of the sweet tangy and spicy flavours together.
Serve immediately as the puris will tend to be soggy after some time. Pani Puri is said to be the king of chats and is a famous street food in north india. These days we find pani puri stalls more common even in south india too.
- You can use sprouted green gram too instead if cooked green gram.
- Resting the dough is very important is making the puris perfect. You can store them in airtight cointainer for about a month and use it when required.
Labels: Chat Items, Teatime snacks