This Nei Appam Recipe is a authentic one made for Karthigai Deepam. Karthigai Deepam is one of the few festivals I look forward each year. Lighting diyas and collecting new ones each year has always been special to me.Now clicking each diya has also been added to the list :) Last year I posted pori urundai
and this year when I googled, I found neiappam from Shanthijis space and here is the recipe for it with stepwise pictures.Now lets get on to learn how to make nei appam recipe.
Nei Appam Recipe - Ingredients
Raw rice - 1 cup
Jaggery - 3/4 cup
Rice Flour - 1 tbsp (optional)
Baking Soda - 1/2 tsp
Elachi powder - a generous pinch
Coconut grated - 1 tbsp (optional)
: 3 hrs
| Cooking Time
: 15 mins
: around 15
: Sweet | Recipe Cuisine
: South Indian
| Recipe Reference
: Shanthis Thaligai
/ Oil - for deep frying
Serve hot!! The aroma of ghee with the appams is special about this neiappams.
- Mix jaggery with water and heat it up for few mins until it is slightly thick(no consistency needs to be checked).
- Strain the syrup to remove impurities, collect it in a bowl.Heat it up and cook for few mins to make the syrup thick like honey in consistency.
- Soak rice in water for atleast 3 hours. Drain water and grind rice with very little water to a fine paste preferable in grinder because it minimizes water.Now add this jaggery syrup to the rice paste.
- Keep mixing to make a flowing slightly runny batter.
- Add elachi powder, coconut,baking soda and mix well. If you dont want to add baking soda skip it and Set the batter aside for another 2 hours for fermentation.Then heat paniyaram pan , add a tsp of ghee / oil in each hole.
- Pour a spoon full of the batter in each hole.Cook covered for a minute.
- When cooked on one side , carefully flip to other side - add oil / ghee if required.Cook until both sides are golden brown.Remove and serve hot!
- If you dont have paniyaram pan then you can deep fry them by pouring a spoon full of the batter in heated oil and deep fry them until golden brown.
- I soaked rice morning and this was ready for snack time.
- If the batter is too runny then it will drink more oil so adjust accordingly.
- You can also use half oil and half ghee to fry the appams.
- As we are addding jaggery the neiappams get a deep reddish brown.The color of the appams depends on the jaggery variety and color.I used paagu vellam.
Labels: Avani Avittam Recipes, FestiveSpecials, Gokulashtami Recipes, Karthigai Deepam, Varalakshmi Vratham Recipes