I was waiting to post this pongal kuzhambu recipe, we call it puli curry, it is a side dish for pongal and this year got some time to click. It is the best combination with both sweet
and milk pongal
. Amma says its a custom to add 5 types of country veggies and it can be to our own liking but we add the veggies given below mostly.
This is a semi gravy kind of dish, it gets thick on cooling down but perfect as sidedish for sweet and salt pongal.This is ammas recipe so here I am giving you the recipe for Pongal Kuzhambu / Pongal Puli Curry.
Pongal Kuzhambu Recipe
Preparation Time:10 mins | Cooking Time : 5 mins / dosa | Serves:3
Pumpkin(Parangikai) - 1/2 cup cubed
Potato - 1 small
Raw Banana - 1/2 cubed
Chinese Potato(Koorka kilangu) - 5 whole
Broad beans(Avarai) - 5 whole
Field beans(Mochai) - 1/4 cup
Sweet potato(Sakarai valli kilangu) - 1
Small onion - 10
Tomato - 2 chopped
Garlic - 5
Tamarind - 1/4 cup tightly packed
Red Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 2 tsp
Salt - for taste
Recipe Category: Breakfast | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Fennel Seeds / Cumin(Jeera) - 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves - few
- Get your vegetables ready.Pressure cook mochai for 3-4 whistles.Add tamarind in warm water and set aside.
- Pressure cook chinese potato,sweet potato and potato for 4 whistles, peel off the skin and cube them, my chinese potatoes were small so didn't cut them.Chop raw banana,pumpkin into bite sized peices, cut each broad beans into 2 to 3.
- Heat oil in a pan - add fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves let it temper then add onion, garlic and tomato and saute well. Saute till tomatoes turn mushy.
- Then add broad beans, saute for few mins add water and cook it.When its half done add pumpkin and raw banana along with red chilli powder and coriander powder.Add required salt.
- Add little more water and cook covered.When veggies are cooked, add tamarind water.Bring to a boil.
- Now add all the potato varieties, let it boil for a good 5mins, if it becomes thick add little more water,finally add field beans and give it a boil and switch off.
Serve with pongal.
- We usually add 5 or 7 veggies for this pongal kuzhambu as a custom and the choice of veggies can be anything we like.
- Adding jaggery is also optional but I recommend it as the tangy tastes compliments well with the mild sweetness.
- You can even add 1/4 cup cooked toor dal, it is optional but gives more gravy and compensates tanginess. But if you prefer to store it for more than a day then skip toor dal.
Labels: FestiveSpecials, Pongal Recipes