Neer More is a traditional drink prepared for Sri Rama Navami and Sumangali Pooja.
I love buttermilk either the traditional creamier version which is the liquid left after churning the butter out of cream or neer more as known as Neer mor in tamil , sambharam in malayalam and chaas in hindi.Its a very common drink in southindia especially during summers. Best way to beat the summer esp a good healthy alternate to the aerated drinks.
Neer More(Spiced Buttermilk) Recipe - Ingredients
- Thick Curd(Yogurt) -1 cup
- Water - 2 cups
- Coriander leaves - 2 tsp chopped finely
- Salt - to taste
To grind coarsely:
- Jeera - 1 tsp
- Green Chillies - 1
- Ginger - a small piece chopped
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Hing(Perungayam) - a generous pinch
- Curry leaves - 5 to 6 chopped
- Oil - 1/2 tsp
1.Take curd in a bowl, add water and churn it well with a whisk or use a traditional mathu as I've used here.
2.Grind the ingredients under 'to grind' to a coarse paste using a hand mortar or pestle. Add the paste to the buttermilk prepared.Set aside. Heat oil in a kadai and temper the items listed under 'to temper'
3.Add it to the buttermilk along with salt and chopped coriander leaves. Chill it for 30mins, your spiced buttermilk is ready to be served.
You can strain and serve or serve it as such according to our preference.
- Neer more is watery as the name calls. May be you can adjust quantity of water as per your liking.
- You can refrigerate the buttermilk after it is prepared or use chilled curd
Labels: Milk Based Drinks, Other drinks, Sri Rama Navami Recipes