Paruppu Thogayal with rasam is my fav lunch combu....Last weekend, when I was discussing with hubby about the next days menu he suggested me this thogayal...and added you can make a new post too...haha he reads even my silence :) And only then I realised I havent posted any thogayal so far. So made it for yesterdays lunch and am here ready with the post :)
Paruppu Thogayal Recipe - Ingredients
- Toor Dhal (Thuvaram Paruppu) - 1/2 cup
- Coconut - 1 to 2 tbsp
- Red Chillies - 2 small
- Garlic - 2
- Pepper Corns - 1/2 tsp
- Hing(Perungayam) - a pinch
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Water - as required
1.Heat oil in a pan, dry roast dhal till golden brown. Set aside. In the same pan, add coconut, pepper corns,garlic, red chillies,salt and hing and roast till coconut turns slightly brown and chillies are crisp.
2.Allow it to cool and grind it with little water to a semi coarse paste. Add water according to the consistency you want.
This is a easy side dish when you dont want to spend too much time at the kitchen. Serve it with hot steamed rice and its a tasty and a comforting combo.
- I made it little on the chutney side as this consistency is easy for mixing with rice. You can adjust water according to the consistency you want.
- Take care not to burn the dhal else the dip will have a bitter taste.
- Tastes best with steamed rice or even with rasam rice.
- I like garlic flavour the best in this thogayal but some will not like garlic smell so ignore it as per your liking.
Labels: Dips and Chutneys, In 15mins, Kolambu and Sambars for rice