I had been meaning to click and post this simple stir fry recipe since long but most of the times I make this stir fry in a hurry burry so this delay. Stir fries are always healthy and they do make a nice combo with both regular meals and variety rice.
Vendakkai Poriyal Recipe - Ingredients
- Ladies Finger(Vendakkai) - 10 to 12
- Onion - 1 finely chopped
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Coconut grated - 2 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Urad Dal - 1/2 tsp
- Jeera - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - few
- Green Chillies -1 long chopped finely
- Sesame Oil - 2 tsp
1.Wash the okras, dry them well using tissue paper. Then cut the head and tail part and chop them into thin circles as shown below.Set aside.
2.Heat oil, add the items under ' to temper' then add onion and fry till slightly browned. Then add okras and saute till it shrinks in volume.
3.When it starts shrinking in volume and the stickiness is reduced, sprinkle little water and cook covered for 3mins until it turns soft. Then give a quick stir, add required salt and turmeric powder. Keep stirring.
4.Once the stickiness is fully gone and it turns dry and slightly browned add the coconut. Give a quick stir and switch it off.
We had it with rice and sambar.....my favourite combo.
- While getting ladies finger , always check by bending the tail part if it breaks easily then its tender and good to go.
- I always use nonstick pan for this stir fry as it reduces the oil to be used to avoid the stickiness in the okras.
- Do not add more water just sprinkle little say 1-2 tsp not more than that - this is just to ensure cooking of okras soft.
- The trick is to cook the okras without stickiness and without changing the color.
Labels: bhindi recipes, Easy Lunch Menu, Lunchbox Recipes, Veggies