I am always on the lookout for new recipes with oats to include it in our daily diet and the oats recipe series justifies it. I wanted to try oats upma since long but khichdi overtook though there is only a slight variation between the 2 according to the recipe I make. I will sure post a flaky version of oats upma soon.
Oats Khichdi - Ingredients
- Oats - 1 cup
- Onion - 1 medium sized finely chopped
- Tomato - 1 medium sized roughly chopped(optional - I didnt add)
- Peas - 1/4 cup
- Carrot - 1/4 cup
- Capsicum - 2 tbsp finely chopped (optional)
- Red Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala powder - 1/2 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste- 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves- 1/2 tbsp finely chopped
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Water - 3/4 to 1 cup
- Salt - to taste
- Ghee - 1 tsp
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Urad Dal - 1/2 tsp
- Green Chilli - 1 slitted
1.Dry roast oats for 3mins, set aside. Pressure cook carrot and peas just for 1 whistle, set aside. In a pan, heat oil - add mustard seeds, urad dal allow it to splutter.
2.Then add ginger garlic paste,onion and green chilli - saute till onions turn slightly soft. If you are adding tomatoes then add it at this stage and saute till raw smell leaves. Then add cooked carrot, peas and capsicum. Saute for 2mins, then add required salt, garam masala and red chilli powder.
3.Add oats and water give a quick stir, keep covered for a minute. Once oats turns soft and blended well with the veggies, add chopped coriander leaves. Drizzle ghee and switch it off.
While serving add lemon juice and serve hot with sambar or any chutney of your choice.
- Adding veggies is purely your choice. I didnt add tomatoes as hubby doesnt like the chunky pieces. You can also add tomato puree instead.
- Serve it hot with sambar else noone can eat it as it will turn dry and will not taste good so serving immediately is recommended for oats khichdi.
Labels: Breakfast Ideas, Oats Recipes