Kalan Recipe is a part of Onam Sadya Menu , a traditional , popular and a must in sadya menu.Kalan is nothing but plaintain and yam cooked and added to a yogurt coconut based sauce which is a thick and creamy curry.As onam is nearing, this time I wanted to try Kalan curry which is one of the dishes in Sadhya menu.
There are two types of kalan namely rasa kalan prepared using variety of vegetables like pumpkin, elephant yam, ash gourd, raw banana, yellow cucumber etc and kurukku kalan which is prepared with plantain and yam it has a semi solid thick creamy consistency. I love any yogurt based curry so this easily becomes one of my favs now :)
Kalan Recipe - Ingredients
Raw green plantain - 1/4 cup chopped
Elephant yam - 1/4 cup chopped
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
Pepper powder - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Salt - to taste
Sour yoghurt - 2 cups
Fenugreek powder - 1/4 tsp (Dry roast 1/2 tsp of fenugreek and grind it to a fine powder)
: 10 mins
| Cooking Time
: 20 mins
| Recipe Cuisine
| Recipe Reference : YummyOYummy
Grated coconut - 3/4 cup
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Green chilies - 1
Coconut oil - 2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Dry red chilli - 1
Curry Leaves - a small sprig
- Remove the skin of the veggies and chop it into bite sized pieces, Keep immersed in water and rinse it well.Cook the vegetables in required water with pepper,red chilli and turmeric powder till soft and is slightly mushy. Drain water.
- Grind the ingredients listed under 'to grind' to a semi fine paste.Transfer the cooked veggies to a pan and add the coconut paste along with spice powders,fenugreek powder and required salt.
- Saute until raw smell leaves.Beat curd and keep aside.Then finally add yogurt.
- Keep stirring in between to avoid curdling. When it reaches a semi thick consistency switch off. Heat oil in a pan and temper the items under 'to temper', add it to the curry and give a quick stir.
Serve with rice!
- The curry gets to thicken faster so switch it off accordingly may be a bit runny so that once it cools down it gets to the right constiency.
- You can even mash up veggies before adding it to the curry.
- Take care to keep stirring after curd is added to avoid curd from curdling.
- You can even pressure cook the vegetables. Yam takes time to cook so while it is half cooked I added raw banana.
Labels: Kerala Special, Onam Sadhya Menu