Mutton is not very regular in our menu but whenever we get it, its mostly biriyani or chukka as its our fav. I wanted to share ammas chettinad version of mutton chukka and here it is for you all....This is too good that we can even have it as such or pair it with biriyani or curd rice.
Mutton Chukka Recipe - Ingredients
- Mutton - 200 gms
- Small Onion - 1/4 cup loosely packed
- Garlic - 10 pearls sliced half
- Tomato - 1
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander seeds powder - 1/2 tsp
- Thick Coconut milk - 2 tbsp(optional)
- Salt - to taste
- Fennel Seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/4 inch piece
- Cloves - 2
- Bayleaf - a small piece
- Curry leaves - few
- Oil - 2 tsp
1.In a pressure cooker add the mutton pieces with turmeric powder, 1/4 tsp chilli powder, salt and saute till it changes color. Then add water and pressure cook for 5 to 6 whistles(or until soft) in medium low flame.
2.Once mutton is cooked, keep it aside reserving little water.In a kadai - add the items under 'to temper' table then add onion, garlic and fry till it is slightly browned.
3.Then add tomato and saute till it is mushy and raw smell leaves.Add red chilli powder, coriander powder and saute well. Then add cooked mutton pieces with little water that is reserved already and allow it to boil for the masala to blend well.
4.Then add coconut milk and let it get cooked till it dry like chukka. If you prefer gravy kind then switch off at that stage itself.
If you prefer you can garnish with a tsp of chopped coriander leaves.
- Adding tomatoes is optional too but I would recommend adding it.
- The authentic chukka is even more dry and almost black in color, but we like it this way a bit juicy. You can cook for few more mins to get a more dry fry.
- Adding coconut milk was ammas idea and the flavour was too good and you will not miss the coconut as we add coconut milk.
- If it starts getting thicker, it will stick so add little more oil at this stage.
Labels: Chettinad Recipes, Kerala Special, Mutton Recipes, Non Veg Recipes