Tawa Pulao was totally new to me when many bloggers posted it but found it quite interesting when I read it as the mumbai special street food. So I made the homemade pav bhaji masala first which is the star ingredient for this pulao then went ahead making this tawa pulav. Tawa pulao is a famous street food which is cooked on the same tawa, pav bhaji masala is made.
Often when I plan to try new dishes there always runs so many behind thoughts as and how it will taste as I am a person who stick to the comfort zone yes always when it comes to food. So even after googling and settling down with Sanjeev Kapoors recipe I was like will the pulao taste like rice mixed with pav bhaji masala?! yes thats me :) But the recipe proved me wrong as it is a total unique variation to the usual pulao and we totally loved the combo with onion raita.
Tawa Pulao Recipe - Ingredients
- Cooked basmati rice – 1 cup
- Onion – 1, chopped finely
- Tomatoes – 1 chopped
- Boiled Vegetables - 1/2 cup
- Carrots – 1 big, diced into small pieces
- Green peas – 1/4 cup
- Capsicum – 3 tbsp chopped
- Ginger garlic paste - 2 tsp
- Garam masala powder - 1/4 tsp(optional)
- Pav Bhaji masala powder – 1.5 tsp
- Red Chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves - 1 tbsp chopped
- Salt - to taste
- Butter - 1 tsp (optional)
- Oil – 1/2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
1.Pressure cook the vegetables for just 2 whistles, drain water and keep aside. Heat butter+oil in a nonstick pan - add jeera allow it to crackle. Then add ginger garlic paste and onion.
2.Fry till slightly browned, Then add tomato and saute till mushy and raw smell leaves.
3.Then add capsicum and saute for a minute without losing the crunchness.Add red chilli powder , garam masala powder and pav bhaji masala powder and saute till the spice powder is well blended with the veggies.
4.Then add the boiled veggies. Add little water (just for the spices to combine) and required salt and combine.
5.Once the curry is well coated with the veggies and the gravy is thick add cooked rice and mix well. Cook in high heat for 2mins then switch it off. Squeeze lemon juice and add chopped coriander leaves.
You can also squeeze lemon juice while serving.Serve hot with onion raita.
- Adding garam masala is my choice, you can just skip it too.
- Make sure the veggies dont lose its crunchnesss which is the speciality of this pulao.
- Onion raita is the best combination for this tawa pulao, but you can serve it with cucumber raita too.
- The veggies can be pressure cooked in advance else you can add water and cook it in pan too.
- Presoak the rice for 15mins then pressure cook the rice for 3 whistles with 1(rice):1.5 cups(water) so that rice is cooked with grains separated.
Labels: Biryani Recipes, Lunchbox Recipes, North Indian, peas recipes, pulao recipes, Rice Varieties