I have been always making veg hakka noodles
as the way we liked including the egg version
and posted it here long back. I love the Hakka Noodles, the way they serve in restaurants. So I planned to recreate the restaurant style and should say finally I could get it right after 2-3 trials of plus and minuses. Guess the wok they use in restaurants for tossing the vegetables plays a vital role in giving that smoky flavour and also the high heat sauting of veggies helps. The aroma of garlic sauted in olive oil....its heaven I say!
This is the first time I tried green chilli sauce and should admit it gives a amazing flavour to the noodles. It is very satisfying for breakfast/dinner and with the addition of veggies completely filling too. This is better as we precook the noodles and wash it which removes the wax coating in it.
Chinese Hakka Noodles Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 20 mins | Serves : 2
Hakka Noodles - 1 and 1/4 cups
Onion - 2 tbsp chopped finely (optional)
Garlic - 2 tsp chopped finely
Carrot - 1 medium sized (chopped lengthwise)
Capsicum - 1/2 medium sized (chopped lengthwise)
Cabbage - 1/2 cup chopped lengthwise
Spring Onion - 3 tbsp (chopped finely includes both green and white part)
Vinegar - 1/2 tsp
Soya Sauce - 1/2 tsp
Green Chilli Sauce - 1 tsp
Pepper - 1.5 tsp
Salt - to taste
Olive Oil - 1.5 tbsp + 1/4 tsp
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: Chinese
- Chop all the veggies and keep it ready. Boil water(enough for the noodles to immerse) then add the noodles with 1/4 tsp oil. Cook noodles until soft. Drain water and wash it to remove the excess starch, set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan - add onion, garlic and spring onion and fry until slightly browned. Then add the carrot , cabbage then saute for a minute in medium high flame till it slightly shrinsk in volume.Then lower the flame and saute till it shrinks further and raw smell of veggies leave.
- Then add capsicum and saute for a minute - I added capsicum later as it cooks faster when compared to other veggies.Then again keep in high heat and add soya sauce, giving a quick stir.
- Then add green chilli sauce and keep stirring then add vinegar, required salt and pepper powder. Finally add cooked noodles and give a quick stir until the noodles is blended well with the veggies.
Serve hot with tomato ketchup.
- Always fry the veggies in high flame which gives a smoky flavour as in restaurants. Dont try to reduce oil then the veggies will get burnt when sauted in high flame. Capsicum takes less time to cook so I added it seperately later after cooking the other veggies.
- You can also toss the veggies by adding little more oil. Take care not to burn the veggies, keep stirring to avoid this.
- Adding oil while cooking the noodles helps to avoid stickiness.
- Though the chinese version uses white onion, I used the normal ones. But if you have white onions then that is best to use.
- I used Chings brand for soya and chilli sauce and I very much recommend it.
- I used olive oil but you can use normal cooking oil too.Also adding more soya sauce will spoil the taste and give a dull color to the noodles.
- Ajino motto is added in restaurants - I dont use it in my cooking for health reasons.
- Check the spice level before adding pepper as green chilli sauce is also added.
Labels: Breakfast Ideas, Chinese Recipes, Lunchbox Recipes - Tiffin Items, Other Breakfast Recipes, Pasta and Noodles Recipes