Omapodi Recipe - Plain Sev | Easy Diwali Snacks

Omapodi Recipe
As I've told, mittu is picky even when it comes to snacks...she loves omapodi and nendran chips.....and I've rarely seen her enjoying cookies/biscuits. The other day when I was getting her ready to school, she asked amma I want omapodi.....in the busy hours I ignored even lending ears to her and rushed her downstairs.....After waving bye and having a deep breath , I heard what she said.....browsed around ammas cookbooks , my collections and finally made this omapodi and guess what?! Mittu was surprised to see omapodi when she returned and the first thing she asked was: amma from where did you buy this?! haha She totally loved it and said amma make this for me often ok?! And that made my day complete!! :)
Omapodi
Having been very busy in the kitchen for the past weeks to fill up this space with more diwali specials, I totally forgot that diwali is only 2 weeks away.....and only now I've started to post the recipes that I made ready for this Diwali.......As I dont want the recipes to wait in the drafts so planned to atleast rush with my recipes from today :)
Though diwali reminds me of lights, crackers, new clothes, distributing sweets to neighbors.....On the other side each channel competiting with their own special programs, movies and diwali releases the whole city looks festive which sets the diwali mood .The best part I enjoy is making sweets/savouries at home and it has become even more special when I started to make on my own.
Plain Sev Recipe

Omapodi (Plain Sev) - Ingredients

Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 25 mins | Makes : 1.5 cups
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian

Besan flour - 1 cup
Rice flour(Idiyappam flour) - 1/4 cup
Butter - 1 tbsp (at room temperature)
Ajwain(Omam) - 1 tsp
Hot oil - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil - for deep frying

Method:

  1. Dry roast ajwain for 2 mins till nice aroma comes, then powder it(I used my hand mortar and pestle) - It is ok if its coarse as we will be filtering it. Add the ajwain powder to 2-3 tbsp of warm water and set aside for a while.Then filter it and keep aside.
    How to make sev - Step1
  2. Sieve besan flour and rice flour and transfer this to a mixing bowl. Add the filtered ajwain water, hot oil, butter and required salt and mix it.
    How to make sev - Step1
  3. Add water little by little to form a soft sticky dough. Take ur sev press and fill it till 3/4th.Meanwhile heat oil - To check if the oil is hot, pinch a small piece of dough and drop it in oil if it immediately comes to topthen the oil is ready.
    How to make sev - Step2
  4. Press it in the preheated oil starting from the corners like a circle finishing it up in the middle. Once it is cooked on one side turn over to other side and cook till bubbles(shh sound) ceases. Repeat this process for the rest of the dough.
    How to make sev - Step3
Drain in tissue paper , cool down and store it in an airtight container.Enjoy it with ur tea/coffee!
Chat recipes with Sev :
Omapodi - Sev Recipe

My Notes:

Omapodi Recipe - Sev Recipe

Labels: , ,