I often make this onion uthappam(oothappam) for mittus breakfast as she loves it. As idli podi is also her favourite I always add it to the onion uttapam.Tiffin sambar
, coconut chutney and onion tomato chutney
are the best combo for crispy dosas / uthappams.
Make this soft uthappams and enjoy your breakfast!
Onion Uttapam Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 20 mins | Serves : 2
Dosa Batter - 1 cup
Big Onion - 2 (chopped finely) or Small onions(Shallots) - 6
Idli Podi (optional) - as required
Ghee / Oil - as needed
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
- Chop onions finely, if using small onion just slice each onion, keep your ingredients ready. Heat dosa pan and grease with oil / ghee. Pour a small laddle full of dosa batter, do not spread it. The uttapams should be thick. Add the chopped onions, drizzle idli podi. Drizzle oil and cook in low medium flame.Once the bottom starts browning at the edges(corners) flip over to other side.
- Press it slightly for the onions to get roasted. Flip over and serve hot.
Serve hot with sambar and chutneys of your choice.
- You can add ghee / oil as per your preference.
- Do not add water as we do for dosas, just mix the batter and use it.
- Idli podi is optional but I recommend adding it for the extra flavour.
- Always cook in medium flame to get the perfect golden crust. I always use my iron dosa pan, it is recommended to give even browning.
- You can add either small or big onions as per your preference.
Labels: Breakfast Ideas, Idlis and Dosas, Other Breakfast Recipes, Special Breakfast