I was waiting for a chance to make this khatta meetha aval upma as my cousin insisted me to try it. And finally I gave a try today mrg and it came out soo good that I couldnt wait to share it with you all. A quick healthy and tasty snack ready in minutes. If you like haldirams khatta meetha mixture
am sure you will love this too. I have already posted a simple aval upma
yrs ago, this is a variation of the usual aval upma.
Aval Upma Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 5 mins | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Serves : 2
Aval(Poha) - 1 cup (You can use thin or thick variety)
Tamarind pulp + Jaggery syrup - 1/4 cup
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Red Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt - to taste
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: North Indian
To temper:Oil - 1 tsp
Mustard - 1 tsp
Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
Peanuts - 1 tbsp
Hing - a generous pinch
Green chillies - 1 chopped finely
Curry leaves - few
- Extract thick pulp from tamarind, dissolve jaggery in water and heat it up, strain to remove impurities. Tamarind pulp + Jaggery syrup should come to 1/4 cup. Add this to poha, add little more water just till immersing level. Leave it aside for 3 mins by then all the water will be absorbed by the poha.
- Heat oil add the items under 'to temper'. Add turmeric and red chilli powder, hing and saute.
- Add soaked poha, required salt..mix well cook covered for 3-5mins in low flame until it is mixed well.
- You can also add onions or any veggies for extra crunchness and make it wholesome.
- Soaking time and water level depends on the type of poha. I used the thin variety.Dont add more water then poha will become mushy.
- Adjust the tanginess and spice level according to your taste.
Labels: Poha Recipes, Savoury Snacks, Teatime snacks