I know making coconut chutney is no big deal but I wanted to post it here for beginners with correct measures. Coconut chutney / Thengai chutney serves as a best side dish for idli
and the list goes on...I have always been fascinated by the look of hotel coconut chutney, pure white in color with just the coconut flavour domination....I made it that way too :) I remember the first time I tried coconut chutney with just grinding coconut, chillies and adding more water , it was a total mess. I called up amma to ask why isnt my chutney creamy like urs and only then I realised roasted gram dal is a part of the ingredient list :P haha
And I should admit it took more time for making idli, sambar and arranging for the click than the time taken to make coconut chutney :) yes it is that simple and quick to make.
Coconut Chutney Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 20 mins | Serves : 2
Coconut(grated) - heaped 1/2 cup
Roasted gram dal(Potukadalai) - 2 tsp
Green Chillies - 1 small
Water - as required
Salt - 1/8 tsp(adjust)
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
To temper:Oil - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Split urad dal - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves - around 8 to 10
- Take grated coconut(dont scrap the brown part) along with roasted gram dal, green chillies with required water and grind it to a smooth paste. Add water later so that you can adjust. Make it loose or thick as per your preference.
- Heat oil and add the items under 'to temper' and allow them to crackle. Transfer it the chutney, add required salt and mix well.
The color difference of the chutney is due to the lighting in the kitchen.
- You can have so many variations..while tempering add 1 red chillies.
- While grinding you can add garlic / ginger to have the flavoured coconut chutney
- Tamarind is also a nice variation.You can also fresh coriander leaves.
- I wanted my chutney white like in hotels so added less gram dal, you can adjust it according to your liking too. If you are not worried about the color and flavour then add 3-4 tsp of roasted gram dal in total.
- You can have many variations like adding tamarind,garlic,onion, tomato, red chillies etc.
Labels: Chutneys, Dips and Chutneys, Sidedish For Dosas