Few weeks back, I was badly craving for some spicy variety rice and this garlic rice was apt for my craving. It is super spicy with the flavour of chilli and garlic, along with the crunch in the fried garlic pieces is the highlight of this recipe. I had few readers asking for leftover rice recipes and here I start with this one....more coming up soon :)
This is quick and easy to make for lunch or even for packing lunchboxes, this is a must try for all garlic lovers :) I had another recipe of garlic rice with mor milagai , but when I saw this I was way too tempted to make it so here goes recipe without any further delays.So sure to post that one in future.
Garlic Rice Recipe - Ingredients
Cooked Rice - 2 cups
Salt - to taste
: 5 mins
| Cooking Time
: 15 mins
| Recipe Cuisine
: South Indian
| Recipe Reference
: Kamalas Corner
Oil - 2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves - few
Garlic - 3 small finely chopped
To roast and grind to a paste:
Garlic - 10 small
Red Chillies - 4(I used Kashmiri Chillies)
Coriander seeds - 1/2 tsp
Channa Dal - 2 tsp
Urad dhal - 1 tsp
- Heat oil, add chopped garlic fry till golden.Then add urad dal,chana dal and coriander seeds.
- Roast till it turns golden brown. Cool down and grind it to a coarse mixture.Set aside.Add required salt with cooked rice and spread it to make it fluffy and separate.
- Heat oil and add the ingredients listed under 'to temper' and fry till garlic turns golden brown. Add the garlic mixture and the tempered items to the rice and mix well until it is coated evenly.
Serve hot / warm with vadam
or any curry of your choice.
- I used kashmiri red chillies so used 4 and it was not that spicy.If you are using regular ones use 3 chillies.
- Roasting garlic till golden brown is a must else you will get raw garlic smell.
- This rice is little on the spicy side so if you wish you can reduce chillies to 3. You can adjust salt so that the spice level is adjusted.
- Even though garlic is roasted you will feel the raw garlic flavour after eating for sure so get ready with your mouth freshner :)
- As there is no coconut, you can make this powder in prior and store it for 2-3 days and use it whenever you want to make this rice.
- You can make this with leftover rice which will be perfect.
Labels: Lunchbox Recipes, Rice Varieties, variety rice