Green peas is very cheap and in season now...so why not make good use of them?! How does that sound making your own homemade frozen peas?! Yes now lets get on how to make frozen peas at home....I wouldn't have given much thoughts for this post if my sis had not pushed me for it, From last year she had been asking me to do this post and finally I am here with it :) You can make the same method for all other vegetables like carrots beans etc.
Frozen Peas Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 24 hrs | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Makes : 1/4 kg
Green Peas - 1/4 kg
Recipe Category: Preserve | Recipe Cuisine: Indian| Recipe Reference: Easycooking
- Remove the peas from the pod, set aside. Rinse it well once. Boil water in a big pan until bubbles appear vigorously.
- Add the peas and let it all float on the top, it will just take 2mins for that. Immediately switch off and pour cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Let it cool and come to room temperature. Pat dry using a kitchen towel until no moisture is there.Store it in a ziplock bag or a tupperware container and label it with the date.
- Freeze it...After a day or so it will look like this.When required just take the amount of peas you need just thaw it and use it.
Frozen peas is very handy and cooks very faster as its already precooked.
How to thaw frozen peas:
Take the frozen peas spread it on a plate and make it come to room temperature which is thawing thenrince i once and you can use it for your required recipe.
The below pic is just freezing after 2 days and the other pics are almost more than a week old.
- Blanching and then freezing them gives more shelf life also helps in easy cooking later.
- Make sure you switch off immediately once all peas has risen to top. Dont let it overcook.If the peas has slight shrinks it is perfectly normal don't worry.
- Also before storing in ziplock/any freezer proof container make sure there is no moisture in the peas else it will easily get spoiled.
- I have tried both ziplock and tupperware container to freeze the peas and both worked well.
- I am really not sure of the shelf life but it will last upto 3-4months for sure.
Labels: Green Peas Recipes, How to's, peas recipes