Rava Kichadi also called as Sooji / Semolina Khichdi is my favourite since childhood and I love to make it too as it looks so colorful, and I admit I like anything with rava both brown and white. Last week when we dined at Hotel Annaporna Gowrishankar, I ordered kichadi , it was so soft,slightly mushy with melt in the mouth texture, loved it to the core.....So that, inspired me to try it that way...though amma makes the best rava kichadi . You can serve tiffin sambar
and coconut chutney
as sidedish for kichadi with a cup of filter coffee
...the best combo!
Rava Kichadi Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 25 mins | Serves : 2
Rava - 1 cup
Onion - 1 big cut lengthwise
Cashews - 5 broken
Tomato - 1 chopped roughly
Ginger paste - 1/2 tsp
Green Chillies - 2 slitted
Carrot - 1/4 cup chopped
Peas - 1/4 cup
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Lemon Juice - 1/2 tsp
Water - 3 cups
Coriander leaves - 2 tsp finely chopped
Salt - to taste
Recipe Category: Main| Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Oil - 1 tbsp
Ghee - 1/2 tbsp
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Urad Dal - 1/2 tsp
Chana Dal - 1/2 tbsp
Curry leaves - few
- Fry the cashews in a tsp of ghee till golden brown, set aside. In the same pan roast rava till nice aroma comes without changing the color,Set aside. Pressure cook the veggies in medium flame for 2 whistles so that it is half cooked, Set aside.
- Heat oil - add the items under 'to temper' fry till the dals turn golden brown.Then add ginger paste,onion fry till slightly browned then add tomatoes and fry till mushy and raw smell leaves.Now add the cooked veggies and saute for 2mins.
- Then add turmeric powder and required salt, saute till the veggies are well blended. Meanwhile boil water in a separate, transfer the boiling water carefully to the pressure cooker.
- Then add rava slowly keep stirring, lower the flame. It will start spluttering so be very careful.Keep stirring continuously to avoid lumps.
- Keep mixing till rava absorbs water fully. Keep covered and cook for 3-5mins till the khichdi texture if reached.Finally add coriander leaves and ghee fried cashews, add lemon juice. Give a quick stir.It should not be dry, it should slightly mushy and greasy.
Serve hot with chutney and sambar!
- Sometimes amma adds ginger+garlic paste which gives a good flavour too. You can even add other veggies like beans etc.
- When you eat you should not feel the texture of the rava much it should just melt in the mouth. So adding the mentioned oil and ghee is a must to get the perfect texture.
- Adding rava little by little avoids forming lumps.
- Once rava is added, lower the flame as it will start spluttering.
Labels: Breakfast Ideas, Other Breakfast Recipes, Special Breakfast