Rajma Masala Recipe - Punjabi Rajma Masala (Red Kidney Beans Curry)

Punjabi Rajma Masala
Rajma Masala is one of my comfort recipe anytime....I always stock up Rajma(Red Kidney Bean)in my kitchen......and by now I have tried all varieties of rajma that is available at Nilgiris :) I have already posted a basic slow cooked version of rajma masala, I bookmarked this recipe long back and when I was browsing for rajma recipes last week....found this and I was all set to make the punjabi version of rajma curry. It turned out unique and delicious and it paired well with rotis and steamed rice.
Rajma Masala Recipe
I usually dont talk much here as I am always in short of words but then I am in a mood to write today :) No nothing food related I promise haha :) I am not much of a movie person but love watching movies with good stories and theme. Not that I dont watch other entertainment movies. ...I prefer watching my kind of movies even twice or thrice than watching a entertainment movie, yes thats me :o
And director Radha Mohan is my fav director , each movie carrying a clean story,message with his sense of humour.....totally my kind. I loved all his earlier releases esp Mozhi and Abhiyum Nanum is my fav anytime. I always wait for his movies to get released and finally got to watch Gauravam yesterday......though it didnt impress me much as of his earlier movies, should say it wasn't a great disappointment. Now again the waiting starts for his next movie...:) And lets get on to learn how to make easy punjabi rajma masala recipe...

Rajma Masala Recipe - Ingredients

Preparation Time : 10 mins + rajma soaking time | Cooking Time : 30 mins | Serves : 2
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: North Indian | Recipe Reference: Monsoon Spice

Rajma(Red Kidney Bean) - 3/4 cup
Garam Masala powder- 1/4 tsp(optional)
Kasoori Methi - 1 generous pinch
Cream / Milk - 1 tbsp(optional)
Coriander leaves - 2 tsp chopped
Salt - to taste

To temper:

Oil - 2 tsp
Jeera - 1/2 tsp

To saute and grind:

Coriander seeds - 2 tsp
Red Chillies - 2
Onion - 1 medium sized
Tomatoes - 2 medium sized
Garlic - 4 cloves
Ginger - 1/2 inch piece
Cinnamon - 1/4 inch piece
Cloves - 2

Method:

  1. Soak rajma overnight atleast for 8 hrs, rinse it in water for 2-3 times.Then pressure cook along with water till immersing level until soft(I did for 7 whistles, depends on variety of rajma), Set aside.Reserve the drained rajma cooked water for later use.Heat oil in a pan add the ingredients listed under 'to saute and grind'.
    How to make rajma masala - Step1
  2. Cook till raw smell of tomatoes leave and is slightly mushy. Cool down and then transfer it to a mixer.
    How to make rajma masala - Step2
  3. Grind it to smooth paste without adding water,set aside. Heat oil in a pan - temper jeera, let it splutter.Then add the onion tomato paste.
    How to make rajma masala - Step3
  4. Then add garam masala and saute for 2mins then add reserved rajma cooked water and let it boil for mins. Dilute it well as it has to cook for more time.Then add cooked rajma and required salt.
    How to make rajma masala - Step4
  5. Cover with a lid and let the gravy thicken and let rajma absorb the gravy well.Add milk/cream, give a quick stir and cook for 2mins. Finally garnish with coriander leaves and kasoori methi, quick stir and switch off.
    How to make rajma masala - Step5
Serve it with hot steamed rice....yum! Loved the aroma the whole house was filled in with...Now its your turn to check it out for yourself :)
Punjabi Rajma Masala Recipe

My Notes:

Rajma Masala

Labels: , ,