Amla/Gooseberry(Nellikai) has lot of health benefits...its really good to include it in your daily diet with its richest form of Vitamin C. This is the first time I am trying Amla Rice....I made it simple just like lemon rice....it turned out so good that everyone instantly liked the taste. I have already made Amla juice, other than that just eat it raw...instant goodness I should say! Dont miss to drink water after you have this rice :))
Amla Rice Recipe - Ingredients
Serves : 2
Cooking & Preparation Time: 35 mins Amla - 1/4 cup heaped grated
Cooked Rice - 1 and 1/4 cups
Urad Dal - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - a small sprig
To temper:Oil - 1 tbsp + 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds - 3/4 tsp
Chana Dal - 2 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Red Chillies - 2
Peanuts - 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Hing - a small pinch
1.Wash amla, grate it using a grater,Discard the seeds...Set aside.Heat oil in a pan - add the items under 'to temper' table, let mustard seeds splutter.
3.Cook rice in 1(rice):2.5(water) ratio and spread it with a tsp of oil. Add cooked rice to the amla seasoning and mix gently.Serve hot with papad or any curry of your choice.
I loved the flavour of the rice with the goodness of amla, do try it for yourself and enjoy it! Amla has the richest source of Vitamin C so try to include it your daily diet.
2.Fry till dals turn golden brown then add grated amla and saute for 2-3mins.
My Notes :
- You can use leftover rice too to make variety rice.If you are using hot rice,make it well in advance fluff and spread it with oil and keep aside.
- I used normal rice, if you want you can use basmati rice too.
- While tempering you can add either red chillies / green chillies.
- Amla cooks easily so dont saute for more time.
- If you wish you can even add onion for extra crunch.
Labels: Gooseberry Recipes, Lunchbox Recipes, Rice Varieties, variety rice