Vazhaipoo is one of the healthiest veggie and I often buy it. Except for the cleaning part, I love cooking this veggie either as a simple poriyal
(with moong dal) or as vazhaipoo vadai
. I found this recipe in Chef Jacobs cookbook,made it yesterday for lunch and the taste was unique and very flavourful that I couldnt wait to share it :)
Vazhaipoo Podimas Recipe - Ingredients
- 1 floret(comes to 2 cups)
Buttermilk - 1/4 cup
Big Onion - 1
Garlic - 6 cloves
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Turmeric powder - a generous pinch
Coconut - 1 tbsp grated
Salt - taste
Oil - 2 to 3 tsp
To roast and grind:
Cashews - 10 to 15
Peanuts - 1/2 tbsp
Cinnamon - 1/2 inch piece
Cloves - 2
Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
Jeera - 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp
Serve hot with rice and sambar!
- Clean vazhaipoo, chop them finely and soak in buttermilk till use to avoid darkening.Dry roast all the ingredients listed under 'to roast and grind' till golden brown.
- Cool down and Transfer the roasted ingredients to a mixer. Then grind it to a semi fine powder , set aside.Heat oil in a pan add curry leaves once it splutters - add onion and ginger garlic paste and saute till golden brown.
- Add salt, red chilli powder and turmeric powder and mix well.Then drain buttermilk water and add the veggie.
- Add little water till immersing level and keep covered and cook till the veggie becomes soft.Once the moisture is gone add the roasted powder, give a quick stir and keep cooking for 2mins. Then finally add coconut and switch off.
- You can skip red chilli powder and add green chillies instead while tempering.
- You can plus or minus the ingredients for roast and grind' as per your taste preference.
- Keep covered while cooking the veggie this will ensure cooking faster.
Labels: vazhaipoo recipes, Veggies