Coconut Poha / Thengai Aval / Coconut aval upma is one of the easy variations to the usual aval upma
. I made it just like how we make coconut rice
and this is very quick and easy to fix for breakfast or even as a evening snack. I also love the jaggery coconut version amma makes...sure to post it soon.I am planning to post few more quick poha recipes
, so now lets get on to the recipe right away, Shall we? :)
Coconut Poha Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 5 mins | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Serves : 2
Aval - 1 cup (I used thick variety)
Coconut - 1/4 cup
Cashews - 5 broken
Ghee - 1/2 tsp
Salt - to taste
Recipe Category: Side dish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Oil - 1.5 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Urad Dal / Jeera - 1/2 tsp
Hing - 1/8 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 small sprig
Green Chillies - 2 sliced thin
- Soak aval for 3-5mins (depends on the variety of aval you use), Set aside. In a pan heat ghee and roast the cashews until golden brown, set aside. In the same pan heat oil - add the items listed under 'to temper' let it splutter.
- Then drain water from aval and add it to the tempered items,add required salt. Give a quick stir then add coconut and mix well.Finally add in cahsews and switch
Serve hot with coconut chutney or any chutney of your choice!
- Adjust soaking time according to the poha variety.If its thin poha then take it immediately after a min or so after soaking, else it will get mushy.
- If you prefer you can even add chopped onions after tempering.
- You can replace green chillies with red chillies while tempering.For a variation you can even use jeera while tempering.
Labels: Breakfast Ideas, Poha Recipes, Teatime snacks