Coriander Thogayal / Thuvayal is an excellent accompaniment for either plain rice or with any variety rice. I love to have thogayal
as a part of my lunch menu, even with sambar and rasam rice. Amma makes coriander chutney
often and this thogayal is a slight variation from it.
It feels just like yesterday mittus school closed for her vacations and here comes the reopening day....*Sigh* Though I kept saying for the past few days that I am waiting for her school to reopen not able to bear all her tantrums, the reality is I am starting to miss her...Guess I should first accustom to the schedule now.
Coriander Thogayal Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 10 mins | Serves : 2
Coriander leaves - 1 small bunch(1.5 cups tightly packed)
Tamarind - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Oil - 1 tsp
Urad dal - 2 tbsp
Chana dal - 3 tbsp
Red Chillies - 2
Coconut - 2 tbsp
Hing - a generous pinch
- Heat oil - add the dhals and fry till golden brown then add red chillies fry for a min then add coconut and fry till slightly browned then add tamarind.
- Switch off the stove and then add coriander leaves, give a quick stir. Allow it to cool down, then grind it with salt and little water to a semi coarse paste in thogayal consistency.
Serve with hot steamed rice or with any variety rice!
- Adjust water according to your preference. Usually thogayal is a bit on the thicker side but again its your preference for accompanying it.
- You can skip coconut and add onions too and proceed with all other ingredients in this recipe.
- Dont grind it to a fine paste, thogayalas are meant to be coarse as it best suits with rice.
- No need to saute coriander leaves just the heat after switching off is enough for it to get cooked.
- Adjust spice level according to your preference.
Pair this thogayal with hot steamed rice and ghee, one of the best combinations! You can make a quick lunch menu for those lazy days just like how I did :)
Labels: Chutneys, Kolambu and Sambars for rice, Thogayal Recipes