Amma makes Thengai Thogayal(Coconut Thogayal) one with coriander leaves and this one with tamarind...I like both versions....thogayal recipes
are always handy for a lazy day lunch and it pairs well with just plain rice or even any variety rice. You have leftover thogayal add little water,temper and you get a chutney for dosa idli...yes this is what I do :)
Coconut Thogayal Recipe - Ingredients
Coconut - 1/2 cup grated
Urad Dal - 1 tbsp
Hing - a small pinch
Dry Red Chilli - 2
Tamarind - 1 tsp
Oil - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Serve it with hot steamed rice and rasam and papad - awesome combo!
- Heat oil - add urad dal and red chillies fry till golden brown.Then add tamarind,hing and fry for 2mins.Then add coconut.
- Saute till moisture leaves and slightly browned. Transfer this to a mixer,add required salt, little water and grind it to a semi coarse paste.
- You can also use a tsp of chana dal and pepper for varaition.
- Thogayal is always thick and the texture should be semi coarse not too smooth.So adjust water accordingly.
- You can temper mustard seeds if you prefer.
- Adding tamarind adds a nice tangy flavour which I like the most.
Labels: Chutneys, Dips and Chutneys, Thogayal Recipes