Pudalangai Kootu is one of the recipes that I wanted to post for a long time....Somehow it gets missed everytime I make it. Either I forget to click the stepwise or the weather is bad and finally few weeks back I managed to cook and click it as well.
Pudalangai Kootu Recipe
- 2 cups chopped
Toor Dal - 1/4 cup
Turmeric powder - a generous pinch
Salt - to taste
To grind to a paste:
Coconut - 3 tbsp
Jeera - 1 tsp
Green Chilli - 1
Oil - 2 tsp
Mustard - 1 tsp
Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - a sprig
Hing - a generous pinch
- First clean the veggie and chop into pieces. Check the ingredients list and click on pudalangai link to see how to cut and clean pudalangai post.Then pressure cook dal along with salt,with enough water and turmeric powder until mushy. Mash it up with a laddle, set aside.Cook the veggie with enough water until soft then add little turmeric powder mix well.
- Add cooked dal and let it boil for few mins. Grind the ingredients listed under 'to grind to a fine paste.
- When dal is nicely blended with the veggie with no raw smell, then add the coconut paste give a quick stir.Add required salt.Let it boil for 3-5mins until raw smell of coconut paste leaves. Add little water it starts thickening.
- Heat oil in a pan add the items listed under 'to temper' and add this tempering to the kootu , give a wuick mix and switch off.
You can serve this as accompaniment for rice.
- You can even pressure cook snakegourd but be careful not to mush the veggie.
- Seasoning at the last stage gives a great flavour to the kootu.
Labels: Easy Lunch Menu, Lunchbox Recipes, Veggies