are always handy during our busy hours in the morning and for tiresome evenings especially after we are drained out sitting with the kids helping them with their studies.Carrot chutney is one of the interesting combination chutney recipes that I tried recently...I loved it for the flavour of ginger along with the sweetness of carrot...yum combo!
You can make this chutney with coconut also and make it thick like thogayal and serve it for rice...Spread the chutney and make a roll with chapathi....am sure your kids will have a change too.
Carrot Chutney Recipe
Preparation Time : 5 minutes | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Serves : 3
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Carrot - 4 small (comes to 2 cups after grating)
Small Onion - 8
Dry Red Chilli - 2
Chana Dal - 1 tbsp
Tamarind - 1 tsp
Ginger - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
To temper:Oil - 1.5 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Urad Dal - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves - a sprig
Hing - 1/8 tsp
- Wash carrots, peel off the skin and trim the edges. Then grate it using a grater.Add a tsp of oil and saute the grated carrots until raw smell leaves, bu that time it will shrink in volume.Set aside.Heat a tsp of oil and add chana dal, red chillies,tamarind and small onion and saute till golden brown.
- Transfer all the ingredients to a mixer, and grind it along with salt,ginger and required water. Then heat a tadka pan - add the ingredients listed under 'to temper' let it splutter then add the tadka to the chutney mix well.
Serve it with hot idli / dosa ...yum combo!
- You can add 2 tbsp coconut too while grinding.
- You can replace big onion with small onion too.
- Adjust red chillies according to your spice level but as carrot is added, 3 was enough to compensate the sweetness.
Labels: Chutneys, Dips and Chutneys