I vaguely remember tasting Kadappa at Thanjavur at my inlaws place...First I was surprised to hear the name Kadappa as I could associate the name only with the stone variety...haha yes.Few weeks back when I was conversing with my sil, she asked to post kadappa recipe......recipes requested by friends and relatives are always special to me....so I browsed around, found this recipe but forgot to bookmark the url will surely update once I find the reference link.
Me and sil both share the same age group and have so many fond memories playing,roaming around together,chatting and attimes arguing on different topics......and now the common topic always revolves around kids or food :) I love her biryani and ven pongal
so much, that I havent tasted any better pongal than hers....Trust me I am not a big fan of ven pongal but her pongal always makes me ask for extra serving.
Kadappa Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Serves : 2
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Moong Dal - 1/4 cup
Potato - 2 small
Big Onion - 1 chopped finely
Coriander leaves - 2 tsp chopped finely
Salt - to taste
To grind to a paste:Coconut - 1/3 cup grated
Garlic - 4 small pearls
Green Chilli - 1
Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
To temper:Oil - 2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Cinnamon - 1/4 inch piece
Cloves - 2
Bay leaf - 1/2
Curry leaves - a sprig
- Rinse potatoes, cut into half and Pressure cook it for 5-6 whistles until soft and mash it up roughly,Keep aside.In a mixer add the ingredients listed under 'to grind to a paste' and grind it to a fine paste, set aside.Pressure cook moong dal with required water for 4 whistles or until mushy, set aside.
- In a pan heat oil - add the items listed under 'to temper' let it splutter then add onion and fry till slightly browned.Then add coconut paste,saute till raw smell leaves.
- Once raw smell leaves add mashed moong dhal along with potatoes, add required salt,1/2 cup water and allow it to boil for 5-7mins until it comes to gravy consistency and it is blended well.Garnish with coriander leaves and switch off.
Garnish with coriander leaves while serving.Serve hot with idli / dosa!
- Make sure you saute the ground masala well till raw smell leaves, nly thn add moong dal and potatoes.
- Add lemon juice for the tangy flavour.
- Dont mash the potatoes completely, just few pieces here and there will be just fine.
- With what I have googled, I saw kadappa mostly cream in colour only so I didnt add turmeric powder. If you prefer you can add a pinch of turmeric powder while tempering.
- The gravy thickens with time so switch it off accordingly.
- Serves as a great side dish for idli and dosa.
- The taste slightly differs after cooling down so I recommend to serve it hot.
Labels: Dips and Chutneys, Sidedish For Dosas