I had always loved trying out new cuisines and sharing it here....it gives me such self satisfaction that words cant explain...yes small things big contentment :) It happened when my neighbour asked me for new soup recipes and thats when I realised I've not posted interesting soup varieties here except for the usual tomato soup
, sweet corn soup
etc...So sat down to search for soup recipes and this lebanese chickpea soup caught my attention....This soup is inspired by Lebanese cooking and it uses Baharat powder-a spice powder used in Arab countries which is close to our garam masala powder
. One good thing is that I had all the ingredients in hand...as when opting to try new cuisines hunting for ingredients isnt that easy....I made it the next day and enjoyed it with warm toasted bread....yum!
The climate here is breezy and chill so having soups is such a bliss! Do try this easy soup recipe and let me know your feedback
Chickpea Soup Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Serves : 2
Chana(Kabuli/White Chana) - 1/2 cup
Potato - 1 small
Onion - 1 chopped finely
Tomato - 1 small roughly chopped
Tomato puree -1 tbsp
Garlic - 2 tsp finely chopped
Lemon juice - 1/2 tsp
Cheese - 1 tbsp grated
Coriander leaves / Parsely - 1 tsp just to garnish
Salt - to taste
Recipe Category: Soup | Recipe Cuisine: Lebanese
For Baharat powder:
Cinnamon - 1/4 inch piece
Cloves - 2
Cardamom - 1
Coriander seeds- 1/2 tsp
Nutmeg - 1/4 tsp grated
Dry ginger - 1/4 tsp ( I used dry ginger powder)
Pepper Corns - 1 tsp
Dry chilli flakes(Paprika) - 1 tsp
- Soak chana overnight or atleast for 8 hrs...pressure cook it along with enough water for 6-7 whistles or until soft....dont drain the water,Set aside. Dry roast all the ingredients listed under 'for baharat powder' till nice aroma rises, then grind it to a semi fine powder. I used my hand mortar and pestle to do this.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker then add onion, garlic and saute for 2mins then add tomatoes and saute till mushy and raw smell leaves.Then add potato cubes along with baharat powder,required salt and saute for a minute then add 2 cups of water and pressure cook in medium high flame for 2 whistles.
- Once pressure releases add boiled chana, tomato puree. I added a pinch of chilli flakes at this stage.Adjust salt.
- Let it boil for 5mins in low flame.Switch off and then squeeze lemon juice, garnish with coriander leaves.
Garnish with grated cheese while serving.Serve hot with toasted bread....heaven I say!! :)
- Use parmesan cheese which is recommended. I used amul cheese cubes as I had only that in stock.
- You can even double the quantity,grind and store the baharat powder in bulk.
- This is a clear soup variety so expect it to thicken up after boiling :)
- I loved the extra spice the chilli flakes gave while drinking the soup, so dont skip it.
Labels: soup, Soups