I first tasted sago upma at my aunts place when I was in school, it was served as a snack and I instantly loved its look and enjoyed the upma too. After I tried sabudanan khichdi,
I had little sago left so made this upma for breakfast.I love the lemon flavour the best in this upma tangy and yummy upma ready in minutes. Do try this for yourself or for your kids!
Sago Upma Recipe
Preparation TimeSago(Javvarisi) - 3/4 cup
Big Onion - 1 finely chopped
Grated Coconut - 2 tbsp
Lemon juice - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/8 tsp
Coriander leaves - 2 tsp chopped finely
Salt - to taste
: 5 mins + soaking time
| Cooking Time
: 10 mins
Recipe Category: Snack
| Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
To temper:Oil - 2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Urad Dal - 1/4 tsp
Chana Dal - 1 tbsp
Curry leaves - a sprig
Green Chillies - 1 chopped finely
Hing - a tiny pinch
- Rinse sago well with water and soak sago overnight or for atleast 5 hrs with enough water just to immerse it well...Dont add more water as it will become mushy.After the mentioned time if you see the sago must have absorbed the water well and if you press it with your fingers it will be soft, Set aside. Heat oil in a pan - add the items listed under 'to temper' let it splutter.
- Then add onion along with turmeric powder then fry till golden brown.Add required salt.Then add sago and give a quick mix.
- Keep cooking stirring it until the sago starts turning transparent.Take care not to mush it up and also make sure it doesn't stick to the bottom.Even if it starts sticking, just keep fluffing it up.Once the sago turns fully transparent then add grated coconut, coriander leaves and switch off. Finally add lemon juice.
- Dont choose the nylon variety sago....the other bigger variety suits well for this upma.
- Take care while adding water to soak sago...this is a very important step....if you add more water then it will become mushy.If you are soaking in the mrg then you can check it now and then, fluff it up inbetween this gives nonsticky sago.
- If you dont like lemon flavour just skip lemon juice and make it as plain upma.
- You can replace big onion with small onion too.
- Make sure you switch off and leave 5mins before lemon juice is added else there are chances for the upma to turn bitter.
- Toss the sago well to avoid sticking to the bottom.
Labels: Breakfast Ideas, Other Breakfast Recipes, Sago Recipes, Savoury Snacks, Teatime snacks