Sheer Khurma is a Mugalai traditional dish made during the festival of Eid / Ramzan / Ramadan.Sheer Khurma / Sheer Korma is 'Sweetened milk with dates'...this is a authentic version of vermicelli pudding made for the occassion. I was about to miss posting for ramzan...but my luck....2 days back when I was casually going through mittus school diary, happenned to see friday was a holiday for Ramzan....and there it striked me that I didnt prepare any dish for the festival so quickly browsed around and found this and seviyan recipe which is similar to our semiya payasam
so preferred this Sheer Korma recipe.
And thank you so much to each one of you who enquired about the issue and sent encouraging words though mail / messages / comments etc....I never thought my voice was this loud...:o with all your support and concerning words, the issue stands small to me.....yes I feel way better now....:) Now lets on to learn how to make sheer khorma shall we?!
Advance Ramzan wishes !!
Sheer Khurma Recipe - Ingredients
Full Fat Milk - 3 cups
Fine semiya variety - 1/4 cup
Sugar - 1/8 cup
Butter - 1 tbsp
Rose Water - 1 tsp
Cardamom powder - a small pinch
: 10 mins
| Cooking Time
: 30 mins
: 2Recipe adapted from
| Recipe Category
: Dessert | Recipe Cuisine
Nuts & Dry Fruits:
Dates - 2.5 tbsp finely chopped
Raisins - 1 tbsp
Cashews + Badams + Pistachios + Charoli nuts - 1/4 cup chopped finely
- Boil milk in a pan until it shrinks to almost half in volume. Meanwhile you can chop the dry fruits and nuts.Soak dates in warm milk and set aside.Heat butter in a pan and add the nuts and raisins fry till slightly browned and is crispy.Set aside.
- In the same pan add vermicelli and roast till golden brown.Then add half of milk and let the vermicelli get cooked. Once the vermicelli turns soft add sugar, cardamom powder, give a quick stir.
- Add remaining milk and let it boil in low flame. Once it is thick add the roasted nuts,dates,rose water give a stir and cook for 2mins then switch off.
It was so delicious that the taste still lingers in my tongue :) Serve hot or chilled as you like it. I loved it chilled.
- The kheer thickens with time so switch it off accordingly.
- Actually for sheer khurma they use a even more finer variety of vermicelli......but I did not get it so used what I had in hand.
- No need to chop the charoli nuts you can add it as such.You can even add a pinch of saffron strands for extra flavour.
- For a more richer version use 1/8 cup cream and 1/8 cup condensed milk while simmering the milk.
- As we are using dates I reduced the quantity of sugar and it was fine for us. If you prefer more sweet then use 1/4 cup sugar.
Labels: Desserts, Payasam/Kheer, ramzan recipes